Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday at Family History Expo

Today was the first day of Family History Expo in Sandy, Utah. Lots of great opportunities between the speakers, exhibitors and participants.

I, along with a few of the other Bloggers of Honor, tweeted about the Expo as well as tweeted from some of the presentations. You can read my tweets @WVRNewsletter on Twitter. I will also try to put them together and post them here in a few days.

The Exhibitors range from providers of genealogical data like Ancestry, WorldVitalRecords, Footnote and Family Search. Allison Stacey from Family Tree Magazine is here. Several exhibitors offering to print and create large wall charts (pedigree, descendant, picture, etc). I gave a copy of my PAF file to Janet Hovorka at Generation Maps and she is going to work her magic and create a great chart for me. You can check out her blog at http://thechartchick.blogspot.com/. Other vendors inlcude those who provide digital scrapbooking supplies, photo organizing and more.

At times when I have not been able to go to a conference for one reason or another, I have purchased a syllabus. The Family History Expo syllabus is on CD and it is over 400 pages of great handouts. I would highly recommend buying it. There are so many great speakers here and you can benefit even by checking out the links that the handouts provide. The link to buy the syllabus is, http://www.fhexpos.com/store/product.php?id=1240.

I am just one of the Bloggers for this event. You can read about the other bloggers at http://www.fhexpos.com/events/upcoming.php?event_id=50#notable. I know that Lisa Alzo has tweeted from a session or two. Renee Zamora has tweeted from several sessions including the banquet. Ancestry Insider has tweeted and blogged (and yes he does look like his Simpson character). Take advantage of the links for all the bloggers on the link above and follow their tweets to get a sense of being at the conference without being at the conference.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for the great summary of the kickoff day of the Family History Expo. It's nice to get the inside scoop. And I also enjoyed catching up on your other blog posts. I've been reading for a while but haven't commented. Thought it was time. Good stuff!
Nancy Hurley

Gena Philibert-Ortega said...

Nancy-
Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it.
Gena