Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday


This tombstone is from a small cemetery in Texas. About 5 years ago, I and a cousin went to Texas to research our Chatham line. On our quest to find graves of various Chathams and their kin, we stumbled on a small town and talked to some people enjoying an afternoon luncheon at a church.
One of the gentlemen there offered to lead us to a small, forgotten cemetery down the road. It happened that this cemetery was in the middle of a field, the only way to get to it was to open a gate, get past the cattle and there it was. It was covered in long grasses and hadn't been tended in a long time.

Somewhere in my notes, is the name of this town but for the life of me I can't find it now. But as I walked this cemetery, it struck me how many of these forgotten burial places there are.

No comments: