Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Sign of the Times

I received an email today that the Genealogy Society of Riverside is cancelling their annual seminar due to a lack of pre-registrations. If you were planning on attending, the announcement is at http://www.gsor.org/.

I think this is just a sign of our times. Everytime I talk to people I hear about layoffs, furlough days, and bills piling up. I am not an economics expert but it does remind me of the situation during the 1930's Depression.

This is the time that our local, regional and national societies need us the most. They often work on very small budgets where there is little to no flexibility. We may be in situations where we can't support all the societies that we have in the past but it is important to lend our support to the ones that we can.

4 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Gena

It is sad to see this happening - I am wondering why more societies don't go to a once every two year format. I am seeing this more and more with large groups who hold big annual conferences. Rather than cancel the whole concept, do it as bi-annual.

Gena Philibert-Ortega said...

I agree. It's starting to look bleaker and bleaker. And it's not just at the society level. I received an email from a librarian, from a public library, today who told me that the library will be closed an additional day to save money. Another county library system about an hour from us is proposing closing 3 libraries and leaving 1 to be open only 4 days a week.

These cuts affect us in working on genealogical research but also countless others who rely on the library for internet access and other assistance with employment and education.

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Ugh! This is my hometown! I would have been there in a heartbeat. Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll see if I can get my family interested in joining.

Gena Philibert-Ortega said...

This is a great annual seminar-it's really a shame.