Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Head Cheese


You might be wondering what I'm up to with a title like Head Cheese. So many times we encourage people to give family recipes as genealogical gifts to non-genealogists. Afterall, who wouldn't want a recipe for something grandma cooked. Well, in my family you may not have the stomach for it.


Now, I'm sorry to all those who love head cheese out there. I realize my grandma made it out of necessity, making due with what you have. And I loved my grandma dearly. But unfortunately, I just don't have it in me to eat it. Luckily for me her head cheese making days were over by the time I came along.


If you are wondering what head cheese is, it is not a cheese product. It's basically the head of a pig boiled down and mashed and then formed into a loaf. A recipe for it is at http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626,144187-250192,00.html. A granddaughter must have thought the whole notion was funny and video recorded her grandmother describing how to make it on You Tube. You can catch the 56 second video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUpXRFloGk.

1 comment:

Miriam Robbins said...

OK, I am an admitted lover of head cheese. It's no different than sausage, just made with different parts of the animal. People just get grossed out because of the word "head cheese," but then most of us would get grossed out if we named all our meat with descriptive terms from the animal's body parts!